WoJobz Provides best career solutions and following listing is to apply for BAT in Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2022 exclusively on wojobz.com
BAT is evolving at pace – truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
BAT Tech Hub Malaysia Is Looking for an Assistant Counsel
SENIORITY LEVEL Management role
FUNCTION Digital Business Solutions (IDT)
SALARY RANGE (To Be Discussed)
LOCATION Selangor, Malaysia
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
The Assistant Counsel is responsible for
- Ensuring robust corporate governance is in place for internal compliance.
- Supporting legal and regulatory risks of the Company’s business operations in all aspects and safeguarding the company’s legitimate business rights to pursue strategic objectives.
- Delivering and ensuring the legal team delivers high quality legal support to the Company through the application of excellent counseling, drafting and negotiation skills.
- Support in providing pragmatic advice and support to the Company and relevant functions, locally and globally.
- Support and taking a leading role in problem-solving and decision-making in all areas of the business, and consistently working to minimize and manage commercial and legal risks.
- The Associate Counsel is a member of the Business, Integrity and Compliance Legal team in Malaysia, reporting to the Legal Counsel. The job holder will be working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and will be expected to engage confidently and effectively with local and global stakeholders. The job holder will provide dedicated specialist legal and commercial advice and expertise to all relevant BAT entities and functions, as advised from time to time. They will act as a trusted advisor to stakeholders to ensure informed business decisions are made to support commercial opportunities whilst always ensuring legal compliance is adhered and business risks are effectively mitigated.
- Support and provide legal and commercial advice and service to the entire organization, in a manner which advances its business objectives while effectively managing relevant risks.
- Proactively provide pragmatic and sound advice to support the Company’s commercial and corporate activities.
- Negotiating, drafting and advising on execution of all commercial transactions related to the Company’s business operations.
- Support the overall contract management system and processes including drafting, negotiating and executing contracts pursuant to the company’s contract management policy.
- Ensuring proper corporate governance in place for internal compliance.
- Support in setting and implementing various corporate governance procedures and ensuring strict compliance including but not limited to review and audit of all processes from time to time to ensure continued compliance with the Group’s compliance guideline such as Standard of Business Conduct, GDPR and TPABACP/Third Party Anti-Financial Crime Procedure (TPAFCP) policies.
- Proactively support to drive corporate strategies in LEX driven areas as a member of the Business, Integrity and Compliance Legal team.
- Create and maintain a database of relevant work product and general advice.
- Instructing and managing external legal counsel in relation to complex, high profile and/or strategically important transactions and other advice, reviewing output, and controlling and approving spend.
- Ensuring good information flows between business contacts, LEX and other business partners about business initiatives to optimise commercial opportunities and manage risks
- Embracing the Company’s values, vision and culture by actively applying these to the role and advocating these with colleagues
- Demonstrating excellence in own work by improving technical and managerial skills as identified and agreed in personal development plan
- Proactively seeking to identify opportunities to create legal awareness and working to improve the Company’s position
- Demonstrating personal and professional experience by
- sharing best practices and knowledge efficiently;
- outstanding management of significant legal risks to the business; and
- concentrating at being lawyers at the heart of the business
- Establishing strong links with the Global LEX community and contributing to the success of the LEX function
- Proactively engaging and working cross-functionally and effectively with stakeholders globally to fully understand and support their business needs
- Keeping abreast of developments in the relevant areas of law and to advise functions and stakeholders of the legal impact when appropriate
- Identifying opportunities to develop and apply standardized processes and documentation to support simplification, improve productivity and reduce complexity
- Working closely within the Business, Integrity and Compliance Legal team to support a ‘One Team’ concept
- Demonstrating continuous improvement & development of self by always ensuring behavior aligns with Company’s ETHOS.
Knowledge, Skills And Experience
- Malaysia, UK or equivalent qualified lawyer with a minimum of 6 years post qualification experience, gained either in an international or reputable law firm and with in-house counsel experience for a major multi-national company. Additional legal qualifications or experience dealing with common law jurisdictions, particularly the UK, would be an advantage.
- Excellent written and spoken English. Additional languages are an advantage in particular written and spoken Mandarin
- Significant experience and expertise of commercial, corporate law and regulatory compliance. Compliance law experience is an added advantage.
- Excellent legal drafting skills.
- Good knowledge of product liability, competition and intellectual property law would be an advantage
- Ability to apply knowledge of legal drafting to adapt contract templates where necessary, and mitigate key risks
- Ability to communicate legal concepts to business colleagues in clear, simple terms
- A commercial and pragmatic attitude to problem-solving and the ability to provide value-add over and above legal advice.
- Strong negotiation and project management skills, and ability to plan, anticipate and manage priorities to optimise output and enhance the effectiveness of commercial solutions
- Hands-on, adaptable and flexible attitude, sound commercial judgment and ability to work under pressure and to cope with unexpected and varied demands
- Keeps up to date with changes in law and corporate governance best practices to ensure that company transactional structures, documentation, policies and contract management processes remain current and commercially appropriate
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
Key Success Factors
- Self-motivated with an ability to work effectively with all sub-functions to deliver positive business outcomes
- Pragmatic and creative thinking ability
- Commitment and resilience to manage high pressured situations
- Multitasking ability to deal with multiple complex issues at the same time
- Highly organized and meticulous
- Analytical ability to spot underlying cause of business issues and to tackle in the most efficient and effective ways.
- Engage and collaborate with Business, Integrity and Compliance Legal and wider LEX globally, including Regulatory & Product Litigation, Corporate Affairs & Regulatory Engagement, R&D LEX, Operations and Commercial Legal, Trade Compliance, DBS LEX and LEX from end markets
- Stakeholders and functional leadership teams of local entities, Global Business Solution and other global functions including but not limited to Tax, Finance, Procurement, HR, R & D Managers, Product Regulatory and Compliance Specialist, Scientists and Marketing
- External counsels
- Government Authorities, where relevant
- Suppliers and third-party supplier representatives, including commercial and legal leads
- Professional Bodies and Organisations
- Regulators, where relevant
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Application Deadline: N/A