Website Wildlife Conservation Society
WoJobz Provides best career solutions and following listing is to apply for Wildlife Conservation Society in Chanthabuly, Vientiane Capital, Laos 2022 exclusively on wojobz.com
Position: Senior Technical Advisor, Bolikhamxay Landscape
Reports to: WCS Laos Country Program Director
Location: The position is based in the Capital City of Vientiane, and will require extensive travel to Paksan and within Bolikhamxay Province (PAFO Office)
Position Type: Full-Time
Expected travel: Periodic travel (expected at least 50%) to work in Bolikhamxay Province, as required.
The Bolikhamxay Senior Technical Advisor provides strategic, programmatic, and technical support and guidance to the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager in the development, implementation and management of the field level activities aligned with the MOU. He/she will provide technical supports to the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager, WCS Laos Senior Technical Advisor, WCS Laos Country Program Director, Deputy Country Program Director and team members in overall strategic development, program planning and budgeting processes for the Bolikhamxay Landscape. He/she will provide technical support for guiding technical orientations and providing specific technical inputs for on-site for better decisions.
The current landscapes include Nam Kading NPA, Phou Sithon ESCA, NN1PC NC-NX Biodiversity Offset Area and Watershed Management Areas, The Key Biodiversity Area of the Eastern Bolikhamxay Annamites (Nam Chat-Nam Pan/ Phou Chomvoy PPA/ Phou Sithone ESCA).
- Conservation Strategic and Programmatic Planning and Development (Level of Effort 20%)
- In coordination with Country Program Director, Deputy Country Program Director, WCS staff in Laos, regionally and New York, identify new funding opportunities to support priority conservation initiatives in the Bolikhamxay Landscape. Lead grant proposals, engage the donor community, and liaise with other organizations.
- In coordination with the WCS Laos Country Program Director, Deputy Country Program Director, the Bolikhamxay National Program Manager and Bolikhamxay Program technical team, further develop a conservation vision and strategic plan for WCS’ work in the Bolikhamxay landscape that identifies goals, objectives and programs of work for research, conservation and community resource management. Review and refine program priorities, strategy and approaches, and overall monitoring and evaluation system.
- Help to identify conservation priorities and technical needs within the Bolikhamxay Landscape; assist in building new partnerships with government, NGOs and private sector.
- In collaboration with the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager and WCS Laos Country Program Director, Deputy Country Program Director represent WCS’ conservation work in the Bolikhamxay Landscape to technical and financial partners, government partners, and other NGOs; present program information at national and international meetings. Establish and maintain strong working relationships with these partners.
- In accordance with priorities and available resources, oversee the implementation of research activities in the Bolikhamxay landscape, including training of national students and staff research.
- Program Implementation and Reporting (Level of Effort 25%)
- Provide technical support to the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager and WCS Bolikhamxay team to reinforce their technical planning, management, and implementation capacity. With the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager, Country Program Director and HR Officer, provide or coordinate and facilitate capacity building, training and professional development of Bolikhamxay staff and partners.
- Provide technical support in the preparation of annual work and budget plans, and periodic reports as required by WCS and financial partners. Ensure compliance with WCS reporting and management policies and procedures including appropriate content and clarity of all reports.
- Promote and oversee coordination of WCS Bolikhamxay Landscape research and conservation initiatives. Ensure appropriate and efficient collection, analysis, dissemination, and publication of field data. With the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager, Conservation Science Director, and Country Director, publicize WCS Bolikhamxay Landscape program achievements through popular and scientific media, and publish project results in scientific journals.
- Provide technical support to and maintain regular contact with Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager and Bolikhamxay field staff, in program/project workplan development, financial planning and field level implementation through regular team meetings and field visits.
- Provide technical advice to the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager, WCS Laos Country Program Director and Deputy Country Program Director in determining personnel and technical needs to ensure implementation of an efficient, effective, and technically capable Bolikhamxay Landscape program.
- Ensure that field program/project efforts coordinate with other technical and financial partners within the context of a landscape approach. Promote capacity building of local communities as effective and engaged resource stewards.
- Prepare recommendations to address any problems or constraints with the implementation of the WCS Bolikhamxay Landscape program and support the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager in implementing those recommendations upon discussion with and endorsement by the Country Program Director.
- Carry out other duties, as required, to ensure successful operations in the Bolikhamxay Landscape.
- Improve conservation status of the Key Biodiversity Area of Eastern Bolikhamxay Mountains (Annamites) KBA (Level of Effort 25%)
- Provide technical support to the Bolikhamxay landscape Manager on preparation of the creation of a new PA status to the the Nam Chat – Nam Pan/ Phou Chomvoy / Phou Sithon forests within the Eastern Bolikhamxay Mountains (Annamites) KBA in coordination with Bolikhamxay PAFO and the Department of Forestry (DoF).
- Integration and support of Asian Development Bank (ADB) Project into Bolikhamsay landscape (Level of Effort 30%)
- Provide technical support to the Bolikhamxay Landscape Manager and the ADB Offset Project Director to integrate the ADB project into Bolikhamsay landscape in coordination with Bolikhamsay PAFO.
- Provide and coordinate field activity reporting support to the ADB Offset Project Director.
- In coordination with the ADB Offset Project Director, participate in required ADB NNP1 project meetings including important site monthly meetings, NNP1 EMO coordination meetings, and supporting site visits by ADB, and associated consultants.
- Post-graduate degree or equivalent experience in Conservation, Natural Resource Management, or related field.
- Proven ability to achieve successful on-the-ground conservation in tropical developing countries.
- Proven grant management and experience with supporting fund raising and grant writing
- Ability to effectively deal with the challenges of field-based tropical conservation and local community and conservation politics.
- Ability to work sensitively and effectively with people of diverse cultures, value systems, perspectives, and levels of education, and to manage staff in these contexts.
- Ability to build capacity in community-driven natural resource management, field research, conservation biology, conservation advocacy, and project management. Demonstrated success raising funds and managing large projects.
- Professional proficiency in English.
- Willingness to travel within Lao PDR and internationally.
Pre-screening will start as soon as WCS starts to receive incoming application.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Company: Wildlife Conservation Society
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Chanthabuly, Vientiane Capital, Laos
Application Deadline: N/A